Thursday, June 16, 2011

Our Very First Featured OFY is Earvs Cabalquinto!


I first met Earvin back in my university days as the fun-loving, energetic extrovert who turns every conversation into a full-blown production number. Back then, he was taking up BA Philippine Studies in UP majoring in Broadcast Communication and Creative Writing. Not surprisingly, Earvs was always on top of his class.

A few years back, I found out from Facebook (where else?) that Earvs is already based in Brunei where he is working as a copywriter in an advertising agency. I was surprised when I learned because he is actually one of the last persons I would least expect to go and work abroad. For this feature, I had a chat with Earvs to get to know a little bit more about his OFY experience and here’s how it went…


Name: Earvin Charles B. Cabalquinto

Age: 28

Country of residence: Brunei Darussalam


What was your work before going abroad?

Before going abroad, I was working in a television network. First, I was in ABS-CBN as a segment producer and writer. Then I moved to ABC5, now TV5, as a writer and segment producer of Philippine Idol. After leaving the network frontyard, I did freelance jobs on writing and productions.

What pushed you / inspired you to work overseas?

I’ve never imagined that I will get a chance to work overseas. I just submitted my resume thru online and got a job. Basically, it’s the interest to experience an independent life is what pushed me to work overseas. Plus, I was hungry then for a new environment. I was just devastated when my Mom died in 2006.

Where are you working now?

I work in a small advertising and events company in Brunei Darussalam. The name is IM Graphics Design Studio. I work as an Advertising Copywriter. I also produce and host events. And I also do strategic marketing for a few clients.

Describe a typical day and how is it different from a day in the Philippines?

Working in Brunei is definitely stress-free. I don’t get squeezed in the MRT during mornings because I am provided with a company car here in Brunei. While everything is accessible, such as dining and shopping places, there is no traffic jam which may eat a lot of time. And believe it or not, I can reach the office in 15 minutes despite the travel time I had to take from our staff house.

However, my life could sometimes be routinary here. I work for 8 hours and go home. So, to add spice in my so called “OFY” adventure, I go out with my friends and meet a lot of people. I sing in the choir. I take active participations in my organizations here.

What are the perks of being abroad?

Apart from the salary and convenience, you get to expose yourself to a lot of life experiences. You get to appreciate your identity as a Filipino especially when you’re mixed with other races; you’ll realize how talented and versatile Filipinos are. You are able to live independently and be responsible with your decisions and actions. Nevertheless, personal travails and triumphs make you grow to be a stronger person.

What are the things you miss most in the Philippines?

I miss a lot of things in the Philippines. Apart from my family and friends, I miss the culture, the food, the fiesta, the beaches, and the events.

What do you like best about fellow Pinoys abroad?

Pinoys overseas are friendly and accommodating. They help you to overcome homesickness because they treat you like a member of a family. From simple chit chat to big time handaan, they are always present to brighten up your day. Plus, it’s so fun to hang around with Pinoys abroad; they feed you with Filipino cuisine and entertain you with funny and animated stories ranging from the gossips in the neighborhood up to as big as a national issue which is mostly focused on Philippine show business!

What do you like the least about fellow Pinoys abroad?

I’ve never had any bad experiences with Filipinos. However, what I don’t like about some Filipinos is the lazy work attitude and being reklamador.

In your opinion, what is the top misconception about OFYs today?

I guess the top misconception about Overseas Filipino Yuppies today is the lack of care to the Philippines. Meaning to say, some people think that once an OFW gets out of the Philippines, they set aside their identity as Filipinos and aim to never return. This does not always hold true.

How do you think OFYs are different from other OFWs?

OFYs are young, fun-loving and goal-oriented individuals. While some are married at a young age, most of OFYs are single. They may be carefree at times, their passion for discovery and exploration of new experiences outside the Philippines push them to stand out in their overseas sojourn. More than pampering their work experiences with caliber skills, they balance their lives with travels, acquaintances, shopping, and partying.

However, same as OFWs, OFYs also work hard to save up for a bright future and help their families who are left in the Philippines.

What's next for you? Do you plan to stay working abroad or do you plan to go home in the near future?

I am now on my last semester at UP Open University where I am taking up Master of Development Communication. Hopefully, after graduation in September, I will be able to move into another company; it’s either I work in a new company in the Sultanate or explore another country. For now, I’m taking things slowly. I want to save up more. Plus, I am banking on various investments to equip myself on the day that I’ll stay for good in the Philippines.

As a UP graduate, I’ve never really turned my back to the Philippines. As my way of reaching out to my community, apart from the remittances that boost Philippine economy, I actively produce and participate in projects that benefit the Filipinos here in Brunei and in the Philippines. As a member of UP Circle Brunei, we provide projects to address the welfare of our kababayans. In our own little ways, our collective efforts help those are in need.

Any other things you would like to share?

OFYs have changed the image of the Overseas Filipino Workers. OFYs are not only identified as young, ambitious and driven individuals. They are also a representation of the Philippines’ future. Their contributions to Philippine society creates an impact ranging from the economic arena up to the socio-cultural banquets of what is like for a Filipino to survive in a globalized era. Interestingly, OFYs are markers of hope and an epitome of a multifaceted personality. They are just a stand out in any field they choose.

However, despite the enjoyment overseas and the sometimes blinding truth of earning big-time, an OFY must not forget to save up for the future. And so, investing wisely is very important. Whether it’s about banking on a skill or putting up a saving on a range of properties, it is best to be prepared. Bear in mind, working and living overseas is temporary. Despite the many years of hard work in a foreign land, we will still all come back to where we come from, the Philippines


“Laugh. Love. Live.”

- Earvs

Do you want to be our featured OFY? Or do you know someone with an interesting story to share? Email us at ofyuppies@gmail.com!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview! To all OFYs, let's unite and make a difference! Mabuhay!

    ReplyDelete